HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Cabela's
Thread: Cabela's
View Single Post
Old 09-25-2016, 04:39 AM
Mando
Spike

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
It's not just their policy, it is a FEDERAL LAW. It matters not if you are beyond a legal limit. If they can smell alcohol on your breath, they can not, by penalty of imprisonment, sell you a firearm. Point blank and period. Had I been at the counter you would have been told that very same thing. As would anyone else on this forum. Have to say, your creating an account and making a negative post is not the way to start out on this forum. Especially when you are 100% in the wrong.

Edit to add: To clarify this for you, under federal law, it is illegal to sell a firearm to anyone that appears to be under the influence of an intoxicating substance. Now, the feds don't expect sales folks to keep a breathalizer under the counter so they just made it simple. 0 tolerance period. If they smell alcohol, by law, they have to deny sale. It's pretty straight forward. Just because YOU can handle a "couple of beers" doesn't mean everyone else can. How was that sales person supposed to know whether or not your "couple of beers" wasn't a couple of pitchers? Back when I drank, I could drink 3 full pitchers of beer and you or anyone else couldn't tell from my speech or body movements that I had drank a single drop. But if I hit the breathalizer, you can bet I'd blow over the limit!
Can you please post the applicable USC section. I have never heard of this law, and I know of far too many of them.