HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - looking for new .50 ML
View Single Post
Old 08-25-2016, 02:03 PM
BarnesAddict
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by jimsmokepole
Hey Barnes Addict, I'm using 120 grs of BH 209 and a 290 gr. Barnes TEZ & Win. 209 777 primer. As I stated before all consecutive shots are DEAD center after that barrel has a touch of warmth.
Just guessing, but maybe that T7 primer you're using out of a clean rifle "could" be the contributing factor to that first shot.
If all shots beyond the first initial "clean bore" shot are dead on, I'd believe there's nothing wrong with the rifle itself (knowing only what I've read here).
Its not unusual for any brand rifle (not all) to throw the first or even second shot from a thoroughly cleaned rifle. I just find it exceptionally odd that your rifle is doing what its doing with the first shot. 18" is a considerable distance at 100yds with that first shot, then it brings them all after that to POA? If 10 or 20 rounds all hit POA after that first round and the rifle functions properly, there's another issue going on and maybe its the primer and ignition on the first shot.

Lots of guys get away with just a WIN209 shotgun primer, where I prefer and Western recommends a magnum 209 primer with BH. If it were me, I'd change to a CCI209M or a Federal 209A primer and repeat the process. Same charge, same bullet. Wipe the bore clean of any and ALL lubricant, then snap a couple primers prior to loading the first round to shoot.
Just my 2¢ Good luck.