HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Magnum Blends
Thread: Magnum Blends
View Single Post
Old 05-10-2016, 07:34 PM
bigc870
Spike

I shoot 3.5" Mag blend out of my 835 with Indian creek choke I believe it is the black diamond strike anyways. I have patterned mine out to 65yrds and would not think twice about shooting at that distance IF the bird refused to come closer.

Oh and I shot at a metal real-estate sign with a paper target on it and you wouldn't believe how many holes where put completely through the metal part of the sign with one shot at 65yrds, the sign was all mangled up. The reason I shot the metal sign was I too was worried about the knock down power with the smaller #7's in the magnum blends. I have no doubt anymore.

Longbeards shot just as good out my gun also but the only reason I didn't choose the LB's was the tightness of the pattern 20-25 yrds and closer. It was to tight for my liking. Any mistake or flinch or the bird moving it's head at time of the shot it would be easy to miss. I have a friend that patterned the LB's and missed 2 birds one at 20yrds and one just under 15yrds. He went back to his regular shell the next day and scored with a 12yrd shot. Needless to say he said he would never use LB's again. This guy is a seasoned hunter with over 120 turkeys killed and is I think 33 but hunts lots of different states and he only hunts public ground most of the time or at a friends place not any guided hunts of ranches.

Last edited by bigc870; 05-10-2016 at 07:39 PM.