Specific Turkey Tips and Tactics How to's from cooking turkeys to conditioning calls, this forum holds it all.

Magnum Blends

Old 05-29-2015, 06:03 AM
Spike

Default Magnum Blends

I have never seen a better patterning shell than the
Magnum Blends from Hevishot....truly amazing shell
Old 05-08-2016, 01:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yea that pattern contains a LOT of #7 shot and I really don't trust it at 50 yard on hung up cagey pressured gobblers... The longbeard XR's #4's will level a gobbler past that
Old 05-10-2016, 07:05 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Try at various ranges. I have seen holes and will not use them.
JW
Old 05-10-2016, 08:35 AM
Boone & Crockett

First I will say I have never used blended shot. Since I do not attempt 50 yard shots I don't feel the need for supersonic loads, I don't even use 3 1/2 inch shells even though my turkey gun takes them. Just thinking about the ballistics of the blended size shot tells me it is more of a gimmick than a better mouse trap. When you shoot the shells, the heaviest shot should maintain more velocity therefore reaching the target first. So, which size shot actually kills the bird? I tried googling the question as to which size shot hits the target first but all I could find were tests on magnum turkey shells. I know the last time I was looking at turkey loads testing reviews the Hevi shot magnum blend shells were $29 and change for 5 shells. More than I would ever think of paying for shells. Here is the review, you may want to think about the Hornady load. Here is the test/review I read re turkey loads.

http://www.riverhillstraveler.com/3-...t-to-the-test/

Last edited by Oldtimr; 05-10-2016 at 08:45 AM.
Old 05-10-2016, 01:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

I can respect your decision to limit your shots to closer distance!!! I don't know how long you've been hunting turkeys I don't know how many you have killed over the years and I don't know what kind of land you hunt...

I can only speak for myself... I think it everybody knows how I feel about hunting public land and pressured gobblers... And I believe that I'd be stupid if I didn't put every advantage I can get in my favor when hunting these turkeys!!!

So for me it is definetly worth the extra money to buy equipment that will give me a better chance to put one of these "WILD" turkeys in my vest!!!

I shot two birds this season in the rain, one prob like 55 yards and the other prob right at 50-52 yards... I may have been able to get that Jake inside 40 yards who knows but that limb hanger I smoked at 50+ yards was not planning on comin any closer...

That's me and how I roll...
Old 05-10-2016, 05:23 PM
Fork Horn

I was just patterning the 3" hevi shot mag blend today and their POI is a lot higher then my old stuff. The pattern is pretty ridiculous at 40 yrds, so I got some and Im going to hunt them tomorrow. They seem a little pricey especially since the fed 3rd degree seem to have the exact same point of impact and maybe a little less scatter on the edges of the pattern for half the cost. I only shot 3 shells of each today so we will see how things go I got two boxes of each. I did like the fact that both had basically the same POI at 25 and 40 yards.
Old 05-10-2016, 07:34 PM
Spike

I shoot 3.5" Mag blend out of my 835 with Indian creek choke I believe it is the black diamond strike anyways. I have patterned mine out to 65yrds and would not think twice about shooting at that distance IF the bird refused to come closer.

Oh and I shot at a metal real-estate sign with a paper target on it and you wouldn't believe how many holes where put completely through the metal part of the sign with one shot at 65yrds, the sign was all mangled up. The reason I shot the metal sign was I too was worried about the knock down power with the smaller #7's in the magnum blends. I have no doubt anymore.

Longbeards shot just as good out my gun also but the only reason I didn't choose the LB's was the tightness of the pattern 20-25 yrds and closer. It was to tight for my liking. Any mistake or flinch or the bird moving it's head at time of the shot it would be easy to miss. I have a friend that patterned the LB's and missed 2 birds one at 20yrds and one just under 15yrds. He went back to his regular shell the next day and scored with a 12yrd shot. Needless to say he said he would never use LB's again. This guy is a seasoned hunter with over 120 turkeys killed and is I think 33 but hunts lots of different states and he only hunts public ground most of the time or at a friends place not any guided hunts of ranches.

Last edited by bigc870; 05-10-2016 at 07:39 PM.
Old 05-11-2016, 06:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

If I shot a metal real estate sign at 65 yards and rittled it with hole!!! I'd be done too!!! I have those shells and a IC choke... I'm gonna shoot a piece of sheet metal today at 60 yards and compare... I'll let Ya know my findings

Last edited by Mr. Longbeard; 05-12-2016 at 04:37 PM.