HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Buying new rifle - recommendations?
View Single Post
Old 03-18-2016, 09:57 PM
Brandon_Lawhorn
Spike

Default Buying new rifle - recommendations?

I've been looking at purchasing a new rifle in the coming months and was wondering what some of you recommended. I've searched through numerous rifle brands and calibers and became a bit overwhelmed. A bit of history of myself first. I'm 21 and haven't been out hunting since 2009. Went out a few times with my step father, but him and my mother have since split so I've had no chance to (nor the experience like he had) to be able to get out on my own. I've been shooting numerous times but with old rifles and shotguns handed down from my family. Those just aren't making the cut anymore. I've been itching to purchase my own rifle that I can learn inside and out and feel proud of.
I did notice a rifle that was easy on the wallet but still seemed to have good quality while browsing Cabelas website. It was a rifle/scope combo from savage. The 16/116 Trophy Hunter XP if I'm correct. Cost about $700 and came in a wide variety of caliber. I was interested in the .300 Win Mag, though I've heard it's a more expensive round to buy. When I do finally get out of the house to hunt, I'd like to have that extra punch and range from the .300 Win Mag, unless it doesn't seem practical. I seriously want to drop the cash on something that takes a .338 Lapua (wouldn't we all) but I don't think taking down Bigfoot is anything I'll be doing soon, so nothing higher that the .300 for now (unless someone wants to talk me into it ). Reloading is also a serious cosiderstion I'm thinking about (step father reloaded all of his ammo).
Sorry for the long post but I'm anxious to hear what everyone here has to say.