Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Buying new rifle - recommendations? >

Buying new rifle - recommendations?

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Buying new rifle - recommendations?

Old 03-20-2016, 06:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

After hearing that the Savage combo deal comes with a Nikon scope, it sounds like a good rifle to start out with! Any caliber from .270 .280 .308 or 30-06 will do what you need without rattling your teeth! Good luck!
Old 03-21-2016, 06:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

.223 for the smaller stuff.

.270 for the smaller hoofed animals.

7MM for the larger hoofed animals.

.338 for the dangerous stuff.

Spend more on the bases, rings & scope than you do on the rifle.

Remember to practice.....................................you'l l be fine !
Old 03-21-2016, 08:31 PM
Super Moderator

Everybody has given you good advice and Sheridan above has given you more specific caliber advice. As you get more into hunting, you will find that you upgrade a lot depending on what you're hunting, what kind of terrain, etc. If you end up like most of us, you'll get hooked and figure out that you "need" more than 1 rifle and scope, shotgun & even pistol for the different kinds of hunting that you decide to do. The more you get out and hunt, the more you'll figure out what else you need (likely more than 1 rifle and scope). If it helps on selecting your first rifle, figure out what game you're likely to hunt in the next 3-5 years and choose accordingly. You can always add another rifle as you expand the types of game you hunt.
Old 03-26-2016, 09:09 AM
Fork Horn

I just bought a 300 ultra in Remington 700 SPS. Got it for around $500 and then replaced the stock with a nice bell and carlson. So you can always go that route buy a cheaper rifle like that (and they shoot) and replace that tupperware stock. But calibers 7mm mag, 300 win mag, 30-06, .270 etc. I would probably stay in the magnum because you never know you might get that itch to do some long range hunting lol

If you are picking scopes my preference is Vortex. They make a line that is in the Prostaff price range but Vortex warranty is top notch!

Last edited by Brandon_SPC; 03-26-2016 at 09:20 AM.
Old 04-01-2016, 01:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd stay away from the magnums, until you need one. A quality made rifle with great glass (scope) will serve you well. Based on your initial post, you wouldn't be wrong choosing .270 or 30-06, with a slight lean to the .270. (or split the diff and go with a .280Rem*)

For a price range, you're looking at $1,000-$1,300 for a decent/serviceable rifle and a pretty good scope. Any package for less will get you the same rifle and a scope of lesser quality.

*ammo may be harder to find than the other 2 calibers.
Old 04-02-2016, 06:09 AM
Fork Horn

I love my Savage because I can tinker with it. I don't need to go to a smith to do a barrel swap. I went with the .270 basically because I hunt deer and pigs and don't need anymore then that. In my opinion you would be much better served buying a decent savage with or without scope (I ended up replacing my nikon with a redfield) and using teh rest of your budget to get into reloading. Simply being able to build custom ammo will do more for you then a higher end rifle shooting factory ammo. IE I got a ruger american .243 for my son which is a decent $400 rifle which 1" to 2" 5 round groups with different factory ammo. I decided to work a load up for him and he is now consistently shooting .750" groups @100yards. Many times we have had guy plop down there $1000 remi or whatever and get out shot by a 10 year old with a $400 rifle.
Old 04-04-2016, 11:10 PM
Spike

Since you're wanting to buy one rifle to use for everything from yotes to elk, I think the 30/06 is tough to beat...especially since you are going to reload. It has a very wide range of bullets you can purchase and load according to what you're wanting to hunt. Bullets from 110 grains up to 220 grains. In versatility it is pretty tough to beat for a one rifle owner (at least for a while, lol).