HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - what breed
Thread: what breed
View Single Post
Old 03-08-2016, 12:54 PM
Mickey Finn
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
Don't know which "old grouch" you're referring to in your post, but IMHO it was not a very wise comeback for the 16 year old OP who's still obviously wet behind the ears with the questions he's asking. Also, FYI I don't think your reason for having a dog is much, if any, different from why most people have dogs!
It was the other old grouch.

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
MF, if you don't want to take time to train a hunting dog or just a dog you shouldn't have one, period! They don't train themselves to do what you want or behave the way you want it to no matter what the breed or how biddable they are. It isn't fun when your dog in in the next county and you are trying to call him back and he doesn't listen. How many have you trained, this grouch has hunted with and trained and trained several breeds for over 50 years. If you want to give a young person advice, trying good advice instead of just go for it and don't worry about sensible advise given by others!
The young fellow asked for advice on which type of dog to get. He said he was going to train it around rabbits. 16 is a great age to get started with dogs and a collie cross is an easy dog to train and custom made for rabbits. Maybe they are out of your experience but you could check on you-tube to see how they work. As for how many dogs I've trained-handled, a few. Though to be honest I never went past the HZP level.

As a side note I don't think addressing people who come here looking for advice in a condescending manner is very helpful.