Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

what breed

Old 03-09-2016, 12:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just some more thoughts. If bagging rabbits are your main interest, there is not a much better dog to go with than a beagle from proven hunting stock. My late father trained and hunted rabbits with beagles for almost 60 years. He even played around with the field trial scene some and came up with 4-5 Field Champions. Lots of folks seem to think a "pet" will not make a "hunter". Not so from my experience. Dad never had a big kennel. Usually 3-4 at most. All were his big buddy pets. A few were as good as I have ever come across as far as hunting. Never saw one of his catch a rabbit, except the occasional one that had been wounded.

I got into Dachshunds some 20 years or so ago. First as a pet. My second one , Tex, was a more or less self trained treeing squirrel dog .... and one heck of a "blood trailer". I can count on one hand over the 12 years he blood trailed the number of bloodied deer that he did not find. And that has been the case with Mojo and now Ellie Mae. All three of these pooches are 100% pets and 100% hunters.

So go ahead and get you a hound pup. Doesn't make much difference which breed, or even some sort of a cross. Take it to the rabbit woods every chance you get and treat it like a buddy too. But be prepared to put in the time. Get the pup on rabbits every chance you get. Even the "naturals" who don't require much training need to know what pleases you.

And as already mentioned, be sure you understand the hunting and trapping laws or you may find yourself looking at big fines.
Old 03-09-2016, 01:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Mojotex
Just some more thoughts. If bagging rabbits are your main interest, there is not a much better dog to go with than a beagle from proven hunting stock. My late father trained and hunted rabbits with beagles for almost 60 years. He even played around with the field trial scene some and came up with 4-5 Field Champions. Lots of folks seem to think a "pet" will not make a "hunter". Not so from my experience. Dad never had a big kennel. Usually 3-4 at most. All were his big buddy pets. A few were as good as I have ever come across as far as hunting. Never saw one of his catch a rabbit, except the occasional one that had been wounded.

I got into Dachshunds some 20 years or so ago. First as a pet. My second one , Tex, was a more or less self trained treeing squirrel dog .... and one heck of a "blood trailer". I can count on one hand over the 12 years he blood trailed the number of bloodied deer that he did not find. And that has been the case with Mojo and now Ellie Mae. All three of these pooches are 100% pets and 100% hunters.

So go ahead and get you a hound pup. Doesn't make much difference which breed, or even some sort of a cross. Take it to the rabbit woods every chance you get and treat it like a buddy too. But be prepared to put in the time. Get the pup on rabbits every chance you get. Even the "naturals" who don't require much training need to know what pleases you.

And as already mentioned, be sure you understand the hunting and trapping laws or you may find yourself looking at big fines.
When I'm an "old grouch", I plan to get a wirehaired Dachshund for blood tracking.

But the OP is from OZ, so I don't know if beagles are very common there. But that is still good advice!
Old 03-09-2016, 01:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Mickey Finn
When I'm an "old grouch", I plan to get a wirehaired Dachshund for blood tracking.
But the OP is from OZ, so I don't know if beagles are very common there. But that is still good advice!

You have a long way to go since so far your continued comments appear to be from someone younger than the 16 year old OP and just designed to stir up trouble! Take care, as I'm going out to run the dog!

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 03-09-2016 at 01:18 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 03-10-2016, 10:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
You have a long way to go since so far your continued comments appear to be from someone younger than the 16 year old OP and just designed to stir up trouble! Take care, as I'm going out to run the dog!
Life is cruel, and it treats some better than others. So, I seriously doubt I'll ever reach your level of curmudgeonhood.
Old 03-12-2016, 02:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

http://www.thehuntinglife.com/forums...-haul-to-date/

If the OP is still around here is a forum he might want to check out. This thread is from a guy from NSW. It shows a little of the hunting and what they catch with dogs.

ATB