HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Red dot on AR15, is this normal?
View Single Post
Old 02-08-2016, 03:47 PM
MudderChuck
Nontypical Buck

Just an opinion but four inch groups at a hundred yards is just about what I expect with my Mini and a Red Dot sight. If I have to shot farther I use my iron sights (I have a see through mount).

Measure the distance from the center of your sight to the center of the barrel. This is about what your bullet strike is going to drop from your point of aim, as you move the range in from a hundred yards to zero yards.

A Red Dot is for snap shots at less than a hundred yards IMO. Especially if your Red Dot has a big dot ( 3 Mil ?).

IMO if you can shoot 2 inch groups at a hundred yards ( IMO four inches would be more realistic) you are good to go. Now practice how much you are going to lead a running Hog. And practice follow through, with both eyes open, and practice not ambushing a moving target until it gets to be second nature (instinct shooting). Much like bird hunting with a shotgun. Jack Rabbits can be good practice and loads of fun.

Aligning the rear iron sight, the Red Dot and the front iron sight to shoot is a head scratcher and not something that has ever crossed my mind.