HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Let's talk locks
View Single Post
Old 01-24-2016, 09:54 AM
Blackpowdersmoke
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bronko22000
I was just reading some interesting articles on modifying the touch hole (vent liner).
One article showed an illustration showing a drilled cone on the outside (toward the pan) and a slight chamfer inside (toward the main charge) leaving about a 1/16" long flash channel. The flash channel dimensions varied from .050" in .45 caliber up to .062" - .070" in .54 calibers and up. The flash channel holes were gradually increased using numbered bits. A touch hole modified in this manner, according to the author, didn't matter if the pan charge was "banked" against the touch hole or away from it. In fact ignition was actually faster when banked against the TH! The reason was that the pan charge was virtually directly in contact with the main charge so there was no fuse effect.
bronko...

That's pretty much what the RMC liners are like. As far as lock speed, I'm sure coil springs aren't as fast as leaf springs but I've never had any trouble with any of my T/C locks. I sent one back once because the half cock notch broke on a tumbler and it was repaired free of charge. I have went through some of them and de-burred/polished all the bearing surfaces with fine India and hard Arkansas stones and I do believe this helps, but I don't shoot competition so I don't fret if my locks are a gnat's hair slower than others. I keep them lightly oiled, I never use any type of gun grease that may get stiff in cold weather.

BPS