Community
Traditional Muzzleloading Forum Firearm Types open for discussion: Pre-Flintlock, Flintlock, & Side-lock Percussion. Smoothbores, Muskets, Rifles, Shotguns, Pistols & BP Revolvers, only

Let's talk locks

Old 01-25-2016, 06:29 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
I thought we were talking about flintlocks?
Is your JBMR a flintlock?
Old 01-25-2016, 06:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

No, but I was just talking about the spring.
Old 01-25-2016, 07:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bronko22000
BPS - I'm not talking a lot. I just threw 3/32" out there. Remember the coil spring on the T/C lock rides on a steel rod. I was thinking something on the order of a tiny cylinder type washer the same diameter of the spring that would fit over the rod.
But getting another spring would be a heck of a lot easier if I can find one. I'm just throwing ideas around while I'm down here in FL. I guess I'm getting bored because I don't have my "man cave" to retreat to so I can relieve some stress.
bronko...

YOU'RE IN FLORIDA!!! What else do you have to do other than feed chicken scraps to the Gators? Get your butt online and start looking for a better spring source!!!!

BPS
Old 01-25-2016, 08:53 PM
Boone & Crockett

No, but I was just talking about the spring.
As was I.

Frankly, I found your snide "I thought we were talking about flintlocks" comment a bit offensive. You always seem to find something in a thread with which to quarrel.
Old 01-26-2016, 04:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

ReallY? I thought you started this one. The topic was spring strength. All i did was talk about how strong the spring is in the gun I have. You came on to talk about the thousands of shots you've taken with a weak spring with I guess no misfires. Your post was directed at me, because I mentioned coil springs. So, who was looking for a quarrel?

There's a big difference between firing a cap, and a flintlock. How is pointing this out a snide remark? Call me out, and i'll return it. I didn't even do it this time. I simply reminded you what the topic was.

When I post i'm trying to help. You don't have to agree with me. Just give your opinion and leave it at that. If you choose to disagree with me. Expect a response from me. If you think that's wanting to argue you have a problem. I hate to argue and never look for it. I'll also not back off. It's how I am.

Sorry you get offended so easily. You didn't seem like that type to me. I'm sure this post will really upset you.
Old 01-26-2016, 04:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

Just for the record. I didn't pull the idea out of the blue of coil springs being a bad idea for locks.

I had a GRP LH flinter that wouldn't hold powder during a hunt. I called up L&R lock to see if I could get a replacement lock. I got the owner on the phone and must have caught him when he felt like talking. We must have talked for an hour about locks. That's when the subject of coil springs came up and he thought they were a bad idea. We discussed why, and that's what I passed on in this thread.

So, if you disagree with me. You're also disagreeing with someone who makes locks for a living.

Just saying.
Old 01-26-2016, 05:08 AM
Boone & Crockett

I was going to let this go Pete. But there is a flaw in your logic about springs. All springs, regardless of type will lose power at the end of their stroke. Flat springs are under more tension when installed. That is my reasoning for putting a washer on and loading it.
Old 01-26-2016, 05:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

I understand that, but a leaf spring has much more strength at the end of travel. That's why a car with coil springs has a softer ride than leaf springs.
Old 01-26-2016, 07:41 AM
Boone & Crockett

I understand that, but a leaf spring has much more strength at the end of travel. That's why a car with coil springs has a softer ride than leaf springs.
Pete - That's not correct. Think about it. The leaf and/or flat springs are under load. If you took a flat spring without tension and started to apply pressure it would be very easy at first (depending on the size of the spring of course). But the more it is compressed the more load is required. It is the same as a coil spring. Now what I will agree on is that flat springs do not require as much compression as a coil spring to serve the same purpose because there is more mass in a flat spring as opposed to the "wire" of the coil spring. Also if both were under equal pressure the flat spring would be quicker because of the mass.
Old 01-26-2016, 08:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

You're right it doesn't have as much movement as a coil spring. So, it takes very little movement to reach a higher poundage than a coil spring. With that in mind. Put a preload on the leaf spring, and you have much more poundage at the end of the hammers travel than the coil spring.

Which is why leaf springs are stiff riding on cars/trucks. Jeep Wranglers used to have leaf springs F&R and they rode hard and didn't have any travel in the suspension. In 97 they switched to coil springs. The ride was much better, and offroad they have much more articulation in the suspension.