HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Concealed Carry Gun?
View Single Post
Old 01-23-2016, 03:44 PM
CalHunter
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Rob in VT
Anyone have a Glock 30? What do you think? I want to fondle one and see how it fits in my hand.
I carry the G30 SF on duty in a Safariland M-3 level 2 holster and off duty in a gun bag made by Anderson Enterprises. It conceals well and shoots almost as good as a full size pistol. With the full size pistol, you get a little longer sight radius for more precise aiming. It has 10-round magazines so I can carry 11 with 1 in the chamber without carrying an extra mag. I like it.

Prior to carrying the G30SF, I carried a G23 (.40, 13 round mag) and a full size G22 (.40, 15 round mag).

I suppose a lot depends on how you plan to carry CCW and what types of shooting situations you might be in. If I need to carry something concealed in a front slacks pocket, it's my Walther PPK/S in 380. Not my 1st or even 2nd choice in caliber for terminal ballistics but that's the kind of gun for max concealment and a shot or 2 to back somebody off so you can evacuate from the situation.

If I can conceal a pistol in a gun bag, I can use any of the compacts or full size pistols in a major size caliber (45, 40 or 9). Kind of the same if I'm concealing a belt holster under a jacket or thicker shirt untucked.

If I could find a 9mm with the same overall size as the Walther and with a smooth trigger, I think that would be my go to CCW for shorts, dress occasions, etc. That's why I'm curious to see how a G43 feels and prints under clothes.

If I were concerned about higher chances of being in a gunfight, I'd take the G22 full size in .40 every time (it's already saved me once). These are just my personal experiences but hopefully they get you thinking more about what you need and what would meet that need best for you specifically.