HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - What do you consider a big enough white-tail.
Old 12-08-2015, 08:38 PM
Tikkachu
Spike

I'm talking just for you, personally. As what you would be willing to shoot if hunting for a trophy and not for meat. People have different standards based on what is available to them, and I'm interested in the diversity.

And Mudderchuck, I've found the best way to control or at least influence deer "quality" per-say is to not shoot does. At all. Ever. One buck can breed multiple does, and one doe can fawn 5-20+ in a life-time. Most does are bred by the dominate bucks from the area which are usually large-big bodied and heavy horned. Even if the doe spawns another doe it will carry genetics for large antlers. There is obviously multiple variables in place that will play key roles in determining your deer quality, but I try and shoot a 4-6 year old buck every single year, and my local population doesn't seem to be hurting any, I could've shot a dozen 130-140" class deer in the first couple days and some of them were still quite young.