Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
What do you consider a big enough white-tail. >

What do you consider a big enough white-tail.

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What do you consider a big enough white-tail.

Old 12-22-2015, 02:00 PM
Dominant Buck

It is all habitat period that is important. Let that go and the quality of the herd goes down. In this state they tried to manage for better bucks using a flawed AR but in doing so catered to the whims of the trophy guys and screwed the people who just liked to kill deer and get the meat. The plan is failing and the Dept won't make it right even though the biologists are calling for it. Still going down the rabbit hole and no thought to the real problem of diminishing habitat especially the winter yards.
Old 12-23-2015, 01:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

As to the original questions, if it's B&C rules then its standard. I disagree with the OP on not taking does though! Quantity doesn't equal quality, by a long shot (pardon the pun!)
Our SE Texas counties went to one 13" minimum and one spike rule about 4 years ago and it has helped the quality of bucks we are seeing! It's not fool-proof, there are some < 13" bucks that will never be any better, but they are protected. But, the general rule is helping.
I also agree with the "meat" crowd, but now I'd rather take a doe than just any old buck!
Lastly, where I hunt, I'd never shoot if I had to wait for a B&C buck!
To me, a true trophy is a "better than average buck for the area that you are hunting!"
Old 12-23-2015, 01:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

QDM? 16" inside spread, or the equivalent, that works for me
Old 01-17-2016, 07:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

For me - I like to take a buck that I know is 2.5 years old or better, a buck with at least its second set of antlers. If I'm not sure - I pass. Where I hunt - that means I go some years without taking a buck. But that's OK for me. This usually works out to about a 100" 8 point or so around here if you want a number - or something a little less if the rack isn't very perfect.

This way - I pass a lot of bucks - and I lead by example. I have to say though - now that I'm i bit older, its a lot easier to pass those yearling bucks!! A few times all that passing - has enabled me to take one 3.5 or better. I'd like to see more deer in the older age classes and i'm not shy about sharing my thoughts for those that want to listen.

Last edited by farm hunter; 01-17-2016 at 08:02 PM.