HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Stillhunting a bench on a hillside--best way?
Old 11-27-2015, 10:01 AM
Sheridan
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Game Stalker
I would attempt to set myself to either side between the bedding area and the game trail to the food source, trying to use as much height as possible to my advantage. This should permit an encounter w/deer as they move to and from bedding and food source using the trail.
I am definitely a still hunter also (including coyotes); but since you know where their bedding area is and where their food source is, I would use that to my advantage.

Knowing that they feed at night and transition during dawn and dusk, I would still hunt +/- 40 yards off the main game trail (as all the big bucks do); as was mentioned maintaining the higher ground and keeping the wind in my face at all times !

Take it VERY slow and remain motionless once you make an encounter; more often they will get comfortable as they continue along their way.

During the rut they could run into you quickly, so be "ready" at all times.

Sounds like you found a good spot, so DON'T blow them out...................you can always come back to try again !!!

Good luck Big Guy