Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Stillhunting a bench on a hillside--best way? >

Stillhunting a bench on a hillside--best way?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Stillhunting a bench on a hillside--best way?

Old 11-27-2015, 02:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

I haven't hunted Kansas so I might not be getting the right picture of your spot.....If visibility is limited because of brush on the bench I would take the high side and work the edge slow to spot along the bench below me. If I understand the description there is a well defined run going along the bench which is their preferred way to cut through that bushy area. I would go higher in that case and try to view along the run up ahead.
I think you have it, but let me see if can add something for a better description. The bench is actually an old lane cut for running quarry equipment along the bluff of a big river. If you think of a trench cut into a hillside, then you have it. It's like walking down a trench about the width of a two lane highway, but one that has big boulders and is now brush choked.

It's actually a perpendicular cliff on the high side, so deer have to use the bench to travel. On the low side, the trench leaves a little cliff face about 20' high, but you can walk along its top and see down into trench.

Your advice is making sense. I should be on that 20' cliff face if possible.

I was hoping to make a diagram but it failed.

Last edited by Father Forkhorn; 11-27-2015 at 02:24 PM. Reason: Failed attempt to diagram
Old 11-27-2015, 02:43 PM
Boone & Crockett

You have better vision of what is below you in heavy cover than looking straight in or up.
Old 11-27-2015, 02:50 PM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by Father Forkhorn
I think you have it, but let me see if can add something for a better description. The bench is actually an old lane cut for running quarry equipment along the bluff of a big river. If you think of a trench cut into a hillside, then you have it. It's like walking down a trench about the width of a two lane highway, but one that has big boulders and is now brush choked.

It's actually a perpendicular cliff on the high side, so deer have to use the bench to travel. On the low side, the trench leaves a little cliff face about 20' high, but you can walk along its top and see down into trench.

Your advice is making sense. I should be on that 20' cliff face if possible.

I was hoping to make a diagram but it failed.
Sounds like that "bench " is a man made path that has grown up and now acts as a funnel to allow deer to go from bed to feed. Yup I would use that as a stand and not still hunt. If the run is well defined it should be a slam dunk. A funnel is either man made or something in nature that changes the path for animals. Sounds like you are on to something. That being said I would use the wind to my advantage and the time of day to determine where to sit. Late in the day the lower end should see animals funneling down to the fields or feed spots. Reverse in morning as they head to the bedding areas. The runs if well defined show lots of activity and should be a great place for an ambush. Good luck.
Old 11-27-2015, 04:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

You have better vision of what is below you in heavy cover than looking straight in or up.
That's another reason to try to get upon the high part.

Sounds like that "bench " is a man made path that has grown up and now acts as a funnel to allow deer to go from bed to feed. Yup I would use that as a stand and not still hunt.
You've hit it exactly. It's definitely manmade and works as a funnel. Once a deer gets in it, they pretty much have to run it end to end.

A stand might be the way to go. It would certainly work in this place.