HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Stillhunting a bench on a hillside--best way?
Old 11-27-2015, 09:34 AM
Champlain Islander
Dominant Buck

I like benches and will always gravitate to them. I find deer and elk like to stay close to the edges and work their way along them. You can usually see pretty well on the benches because they are flat. Occasionally you can get part way up the high side and improve your sight line but that would be a spot I would sit for a bit. My own feeling is if I am moving I would rather be above them than below. If picking out a stand a high point looking onto the bench is a good spot almost like being in a tree stand. If looking for a spot to sit I like to find where the bench runs into a saddle because that is usually the spot they will access the bench from.

Edit: I just read your original post again. I haven't hunted Kansas so I might not be getting the right picture of your spot. From what I remember driving through it was pretty flat. If visibility is limited because of brush on the bench I would take the high side and work the edge slow to spot along the bench below me. If I understand the description there is a well defined run going along the bench which is their preferred way to cut through that bushy area. I would go higher in that case and try to view along the run up ahead.

Last edited by Champlain Islander; 11-27-2015 at 09:45 AM.