HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - What scope power do you use
View Single Post
Old 11-22-2015, 12:10 PM
MudderChuck
Nontypical Buck

My scope is a 4X12X52, I'm a firm believer in the "aim small miss small theory", I leave it on 12X. I've put enough practice in, to transition from eye to scope or binocular to scope and pick the target up again in the scope quickly, that it is instinct for me now. I don't need field of view. I don't aim at a Deer, I aim for a spot on that Deer.

Some scopes, when you change the power the parallax changes. You have to adjust the parallax ring or change your eye relief. Some scopes the point of aim/impact changes with a power change.

Try rolling our head at different distances from your scope and watch the dark ring around the lighter center circle of your view. When the black ring disappears, this is the sweet spot (distance) for your eye from the scope. Some/many scopes have an adjustment for this, some don't.

Check your eye distance then change your power and see if the ideal eye distance changes.

And lastly after you have gotten good at moving/rolling your head (eye) distance from the scope, until the darker outer ring disappears. Do it again while looking at a fixed target and watch the reticle at the same time. If the reticle moves off the target much, you will have to learn to deal with this. The usual solution is to get exactly the same eye relief distance from the scope every time.

Most manufactures have found ways to mitigate parallax and reticle movement with power changes. May not even be a factor with your scope, but it is worth a look see.

Trigger jerk is the most likely explanation. You had a brain fart and forgot to squeeze. Next most common is breath control.

Check your scope out anyway. Read up some on parallax, I'm sure others have a better explanation than mine. Parallax gets more important at longer ranges. But it is a greater/lesser factor depending on the scope.

I have a (really heavy) three legged vise, I pad to protect the rifle and use to check my scopes out with.