HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Hunting in Wayne National Forest, Athens OH
Old 11-18-2015, 06:08 AM
CVG Ohio
Fork Horn

Here is my report. I went with 2 other guy's to Wayne National Forest Nov 2 - 5. Arrived on Sunday afternoon to the Horseman's Camp in the Athens unit by Shawnee, OH. Very nice campground of course primitive but my 34 foot Class A camper made it very nice. The camping spot is $14/night no water or electricity you can tent camp if you want. Burr Oak Grove campground is nice but better for tent or shorter trailers or pop ups.

Anyway we saw a lot of Doe's and some small button bucks but the Rut was not on. I passed on a couple of Doe's hoping for a Buck but neither of us shot at a Deer.

One thing that was very apparent is that it is extremely hard to hike it has very steep slopes and is very hilly. A younger persons place and need to be in very good shape to hike in with gear and drag out a deer.

We did have visitors through out the week that would come up to us or drive through looking things over. We had 7 women pulling horse trailers in one morning making a ton of racket but it was interesting to see them get the horses ready for the day's ride.

Over all I need to do more scouting of this place and will try it again next year.

CVG Ohio