Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
Hunting in Wayne National Forest, Athens OH >

Hunting in Wayne National Forest, Athens OH

Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Hunting in Wayne National Forest, Athens OH

Old 09-14-2015, 12:50 PM
Fork Horn

Default Hunting in Wayne National Forest, Athens OH

Anyone hunt in the Wayne National Forest? I would like general information like better to Archery Hunt Vs Gun Hunt? Anyone know campgrounds that would be open during Gun/Muzzleloader Season?

Not looking to steal your favorite site just general information would be interested in. I have a Class A motorhome and thought this would be a great hunt experience.

Thanks,
CVG Ohio

PS: planning to call rangers soon.
Old 09-14-2015, 07:11 PM
Super Moderator

I've not been there. Wish I could help. I have hunted some Coshocton public properties and such though and they get hit pretty hard the first day of shotgun season and the weekend. Muzzleloader would be better as far as hunting pressure goes. Ohio public land holds some great bucks and good deer numbers, but also tend to get hit pretty hard by hunters.
-Jake
Old 09-17-2015, 12:11 PM
Fork Horn

Bocajnala thank you for your reply. My hunting partner and I will probably go the second week of November. Thinking of camping in the Burr Lake Campground for a few day's. I have already placed my order for a couple of Topo Maps in areas I am interested in. Talked with a Ranger and asked some questions the other day.

Still looking for more information if anyone has some.

CVG Ohio
Old 09-25-2015, 03:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hunted the Wayne a few years ago during shotgun season. It is a huge piece of property. Get off the road a little ways and you probably won't see many people. I saw several deer and killed a doe. Saw some smaller bucks but no shooters. The sign was there though.

Good luck.
Old 09-27-2015, 01:00 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks Rob in VT! Wen I spoke to the Ranger he said he sees a lot of deer every day when he comes in to work. He told me good luck as well. We are hoping to get off the beaten path. Will post a report when I get back.

CVG Ohio
Old 10-31-2015, 12:16 PM
Fork Horn

Going to the Wayne National Forest tomorrow for a few day's. Will report when I get back.

CVG Ohio
Old 11-02-2015, 11:35 PM
Super Moderator

Let us know how it goes CVG, good luck!
-Jake
Old 11-18-2015, 06:08 AM
Fork Horn

Here is my report. I went with 2 other guy's to Wayne National Forest Nov 2 - 5. Arrived on Sunday afternoon to the Horseman's Camp in the Athens unit by Shawnee, OH. Very nice campground of course primitive but my 34 foot Class A camper made it very nice. The camping spot is $14/night no water or electricity you can tent camp if you want. Burr Oak Grove campground is nice but better for tent or shorter trailers or pop ups.

Anyway we saw a lot of Doe's and some small button bucks but the Rut was not on. I passed on a couple of Doe's hoping for a Buck but neither of us shot at a Deer.

One thing that was very apparent is that it is extremely hard to hike it has very steep slopes and is very hilly. A younger persons place and need to be in very good shape to hike in with gear and drag out a deer.

We did have visitors through out the week that would come up to us or drive through looking things over. We had 7 women pulling horse trailers in one morning making a ton of racket but it was interesting to see them get the horses ready for the day's ride.

Over all I need to do more scouting of this place and will try it again next year.

CVG Ohio
Old 11-18-2015, 08:08 AM
Dominant Buck

Your report mirrors my experience several years ago gun hunting in the Wayne National Forest. We saw a lot of other hunters and my feeling was it would be much better for a bow hunt earlier in the season. The sign for big bucks was there but I personally saw mostly does. Lots of steep hills and green-brier grabbing at you.