HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 7mm08 Hide Damage?
View Single Post
Old 10-25-2015, 11:33 PM
super_hunt54
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by GTOHunter
A 7mm-08 is pretty well the same size as a .243,they can handle a heavier grain bullet but You need to go with a lighter bullet for less hide damage!
Personally I would go with a different Caliber Rifle.....a .223,.204 or .17 Hornet would be easier on the hides if You intend on saving the fur on the Coyotes!
Partly right but mostly wrong there. The lighter and faster bullets from all 3 of those cartridges you listed have a tendency to blow some pretty nasty holes in a yote. Whereas the heavier, slower, controlled expansion from say the 7mm08 or even a .270 barely even gets slowed down from a yote body let alone open up to cause severe exit damage. I've dropped many with a .223 and let me tell ya, your could throw a small cat through the exit. What you have to use out of those are the varmint bullets with explosive expansion where you wont get an exit most of the time.

Originally Posted by Exophysical
I dunno, the 7-08 has ballistics pretty close to that of a .270 win. I've never found any .270 bullet that wont blow the heck out of a coyote myself. Sort of the same effect as hitting a jug of water, their little bodies just cant seem to take it.
Exo, there are several bullets for the .270 that wouldn't even shudder at impact on a yote. Pencil in and out. Same for the 7mm.08, Hornady interlocks, Barns TTSX, pretty much any of the mono bullets made for medium to heavy game, even speer hot cores would probably just pencil through a little yote.