HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Shooting Hogs During Their Security Checks
Old 10-02-2015, 04:02 PM
falcon
Boone & Crockett

Thanks for your posts and videos.

Wild hogs are still adapting to threats.

There are "scout" pigs and "point" pigs". Many times over the past three years i have observed one sounder of about 40 hogs from a comfortable blind with shooting rests, heat and swivel chairs. The sounder comes into a mesquite patch 450 yards from the blind, then two "scouts" are dispatched. The sounder waits for the "scouts" to return. The "scouts" travel up a ravine to a wheatfield. Then they report back to the sounder. The sounder then moves off to the wheatfield. A couple times the sounder turned and left the area.

In one area i hunt many hogs are descendents of Eurasian boars: These sounders will stage a hundred yards or more from the food source or water. One may hear some low grunts as the sounder waits for dark. Sometimes they wait for an hour or more. Then there's some serious squealing as an immature pig, usually a boar, is appointed "point" pig. The "point" pig comes in fast, hackles raised, with the sounder trailing 50-100 yards behind. i've shot the "point" pig several times.

Sometimes sounders are accompanied by a large boar. The big boar may not eat. He may be stationed 15-30 yards from the sounder, observing.

In another area i hunt the sounders will not scatter when threatened. They bunch up tight and run.

Last evening i was in a blind overlooking a feeder. Heard a sounder about 150 yards away. They never came my way. The sounder went to another feeder 250 yards away; the one i intended to occupy before i changed my mind.