HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 7mm08 Hide Damage?
View Single Post
Old 09-16-2015, 03:43 PM
Grazing Bit
Spike

Default 7mm08 Hide Damage?

I intend to procure a 7mm08 Browning BLR as a sort of all rounder saddle gun for use on big game as well as coyotes. The problem is that I would find it agreeable if the coyotes' hides were suitable to be skinned out and tanned, but, a 7mm08 does not seem, to me, that it would be very conducive to intact hides. If this rifle were to be used only for prognhorn, coyotes, and the odd deer I would have no objection to it being chambered in .243; a much more suitable and fur friendly predator round. However, as it would be a convenience if this rifle were suitable to elk hunting (yes, I am aware that a .243 is capable of dropping an elk, but that is, nonethelesss, a situation I would prefer to avoid) I am not willing to concede to such a degradtion of calibre.
I was thinking that perhaps using a heavy, and therefore slower, and tougher bullet, such as a 140 grain Federal Trophy Copper, while avoiding large bones wouldn't to terrible an option because, while it would still have an exit hole, it wouldn't be excssively large as such a light and small animal would not give the bullet much oportunity to expand. Any thoughts?