HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Old PSE FireFox crossbow
View Single Post
Old 09-05-2015, 06:19 PM
rb56
Spike

Default hey folks

hello folks, new guy here that googled the internet which hijacked me to here. i saw the thread here on older pse's. i just recently got a text from my brother on the firefox on craigslist for $50. the pics looked good and spoke with the guy who hunted it twice. he was nice enough to say it was a lot older...maybe 20 years old. after i drove 75 miles to meet him to get it. this was a wham bam deal, i had told him i wanted to see it come the first of the month, 3 days away. he called three days later on monday and said he was at work at a job site and had it with him and wanted to ask if i could meet him on his way home. i agreed and i looked it over...not knowing much, i new right away it was older but it looked brand new as he explained he'd had it out 2 times. pointing out the cable and pulleys, the paint how it all was proof it was in very god condition. i paid the $50 and left and was pretty pumped about bow hunting again.
i'm 59 now and retired on disability and have found one needs things to do and hobbies, being disabled means i can't work. it doesn't mean at all one can't still live. like the fella starting this thread, i started to find this item i now owned may have never even existed! one brother had a horton once that you could kill a whale with...in the pacific, 3,000 miles away...that was a mile deep. this one i'm wondering do i shoot it or drop it on em? maybe this one goes on the ground with a string on the trigger and when stepped on you pull the string and it'd snap a leg on the deer.
well i've learned the good thing is, used twice the cable is good shape. if i care for it should last a while. or if it's a pos i can sell it for $50 to some poor soul who simply needs a new cable. don't ya love how some slick gets your money then stops making what he sold ya? the nocks on these bolts are like the nocks i used on arrows with a bear compound in my 2nd cave. they have to snap- to the cable because the rest is a Y made from an oak twig. it's kinda gotta habit of fumblin the bolt off and if so and you shoot a bolt that has space between it and the cable causes sounds made by a hunter far away you aren't familiar with. the bolts use 4 veins instead of 3. i figured it's creator liked feathers, maybe thought he was part indian. and drank. only available on ebay and just over $10 a piece.
when you get older and eyesight is one of the first...a peep sight must be an x-rated thing because you wont have a use for one so i took it off. the two screws in the left side were replaced by 1 1/2 inch. i took a piece of 1 inch aluminum angle iron cut 8 inches long and drilled holes in it same as the peep and mounted it on. i had to cut the side off allowing the cable be pulled back, and cut the groove very carefully where the cable enters the locking device. i removed my 3x9 from my cva .50 and the 2 mounts. after i found where they needed to mount, i used the rifle mounts and bolted them to the top of the angle iron. then the scope on them. i just used flat black to dull it with some grey.
now will it all work? awaiting my bolts from ebay i took the 3 that were with it...wit6h no veins. from 10 ft. i was way off and adjusted and...can you see it? the last one was now about a ft. high and center. missing the target it broke the tip off. awaiting my bolts i want to ask...where do you load the shells? well...i wonder at 15 yds. will it drop a ft. to hit the target. i guess i'm asking if there are known ballistics on these? i didn't mean to write a book, but to educate hunters on this is why you get your butt out instead of staying home reading on the inner net.
http://i1235.photobucket.com/albums/...psugt5qzy7.jpg

Last edited by rb56; 09-05-2015 at 06:20 PM. Reason: add pic