HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Dad had a stroke, and it's difficult as his daughter
Old 09-05-2015, 09:06 AM
d80hunter
Nontypical Buck

My father has disc problems with his lower spine and knee problems that have him concerned about being able to hunt this year. He also has been boozing to the point that I am concerned he will be drinking if we are out hunting.

I remember him getting me out to deer hunt one time when I was on medical leave from the Air Force in 1999. He made it easy for a guy with a fractured ankle to hunt by setting me up close to the parking spot. (Guess what BigBuck I have no disabililty payout like you think everyone who gets injured gets.) He had a blind set up for me with a comfortable chair and blankets. The hunting was as easy as moving about the house. I know I owe him for that so I am going to try my best.

One thing I am going to need is a nice deer cart because I will be hauling the deer myself for now on. I am still young enough to be a brute but do not want to get any injuries that I can avoid from dragging a deer out of the woods. I am learning that it I do not heal as quick as I used to and from watching my father I learned that old trouble spots on your body will wear out easily when you get to a certain mileage.

I know my experiences are different than yours but I see hope in turkey and coyote hunting. I see them as less strenuous activities and the game are lighter. I am going to try using blinds this year for predator hunting, it could make for a comfortable deer hunt with the right chair for my father. This property I will be using the blind at has easy truck access through all the fields and a nice concrete ford to drive across the river, thanks to the farmers.

Keep thinking about making it easy for him and yourself and we can try to give the best advice we can. Sorry about your situation, just try to remember all the good times hunting you had and stay positive. I hope things work out.