HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Dad had a stroke, and it's difficult as his daughter
Old 09-05-2015, 06:22 AM
Rushlight
Spike

Unhappy Dad had a stroke, and it's difficult as his daughter

Sorry in advance, but I need to dump this on someone, and I'm hoping people here will understand. This is also rather long.

My Dad had a stroke about a year ago. He had initially shown some progress but seems to be getting worse in recent months. He has weakness on his right side and has trouble walking over broken ground or high grass and can no longer shoot his bow.

He can still shoot his rifle. However, he has become impulsive and sometimes makes poor decisions. I worry about such things as his not checking for down-range targets. I've been considering broaching the subject of using a crossbow, since that would be easier than a bow yet have a shorter range than a rifle.

I guess this is the most difficult part for me as his daughter. He has some issues with bladder and bm control. I've taken care of him for a few days at a time to give my step mom a break. But that was at his home, and I could easily enough clean up the floors and toss clothes and sheets in the washer. These things would be difficult in deer camp.

My BIL helped last year, but he has expressed that he doesn't feel comfortable taking Dad hunting now. I can do a number of necessary things, like dress a deer, and I can track like a bloodhound. But I have health issues of my own and don't have the strength/stamina to drag a deer long distances or other things that require strength, things that my Dad did when we hunted all these years.

I guess I said all that to ask: what can I do to help my Dad hunt successfully and with dignity?

Thanks.