HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Bear Hunting Tips Needed
View Single Post
Old 08-17-2015, 11:51 AM
RockyMtnGobblers
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by flags
Your second photo looks like it shows a cut to the right of that water hole. I'd look really hard at that cut and see if the bear are using it to get to water and to see if there are pockets of wild rose, raspberries or currants along it, all of which bear will feed heavily on. If the fall is really dry, water would be a better thing to set up over for both elk and bear than a food source unless the food source is geographically limited or restricted like a good heavy berry thicket.

One other thing to look at is if there are any big anthills in the more open areas. A lot of people don't know it but bear will hit anthills pretty hard to get to the larvae and eggs. If there are a lot of hills that is worth keeping an eye on. I had an old game warden tell me that trick.
I'll check for the berries and the cut for tracks but no ant hills.

I couldn't see any trails above the cut either but on the mountain next to this one I did find a wide well used trail cutting through the thick timber going up to a semi open area with faint trails, I may work my way around to it if I have time or there is no action in my area.

Last edited by RockyMtnGobblers; 08-18-2015 at 07:27 AM.