HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Grizzly Bears
Thread: Grizzly Bears
View Single Post
Old 02-07-2002, 11:20 PM
Surestrike

Default RE: Grizzly Bears

Thain,
I spent 3 winters up on the slope(Dead Horse) flying scientific expedition support off shore.(AKA aural accustic listening posts) The guys out on the ice pack were required to carry a rifle any time they left the camp perimeter. They carried .375's or 06's depending on the camp. A polar bear is one of the worlds most aggresive animals.I guess thay kinda have to be to survive in those conditions. They have my full respect. In the 3 winters I worked up there I can remeber several incidents of bear shootings out on the Ice. Do you remeber about 10 years ago when that kid was killed and partially eaten up in Shishmaref. The Polar bear that took him ate him right on the beach and then tried to defend his kill against a hoard of armed men. Off the subject I know but that Kuparak story just brought back some memories.
I'm heading up to Galena and points north this year for Moose where's the big uns gonna be? I'm thinking about hunting them with my stevens .410 with buckshot that ougtta keep them bears away. (Sorry just trying to keep with the subject matter here)