HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Mountain feist squirrel dog. Need advice
View Single Post
Old 07-28-2015, 02:44 AM
Uncle Nicky
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
Draging a chuskar will still put a scent trail (scent cone) in the air, there is no reason a pointing breed should hunt with its nose to the ground when there is scent in the air. There is a chance what what you think is the dog using its eyes is the dog using its nose. A bird that stinks as much as a turkey does leaves scent molecules in the air that stay for a long time, you need to understand how certain breeds follow scent. You can train your dog any way you want but a turkey dog surely doesn't need to hunt like a hound and training a dog to go against its breeding ( head up) just may be counter productive.
(Sigh)....why do I waste my time and money talking to turkey doggers and working with reputable trainers, when all I have to do is come on this website and wait for pearls of wisdom like this???

John Byrne, who is considered the "father" of the turkey dog breeders, intentionally bred Plott hounds into his line of dogs, for scent tracking abilities. http://blog.havalon.com/fall-turkey-hunting-with-dogs/

Jdecountryboy- sorry for hijacking your thread.

Last edited by Uncle Nicky; 07-28-2015 at 03:02 AM.