HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Update on the waterfowl masecre in PA thread
Old 05-30-2015, 10:37 AM
Oldtimr
Boone & Crockett

Well you have to understand there are two populations of snow geese in the US. Greater and Lesser snow geese. The population of Greater snow geese is the one that is so large it s doing damage to the tundra where they breed. While there are a lot of Lesser snow geese, the ones that migrate through PA, their population is not as large and out of control as the greater population and the reason for the large bag limits and conservation season on the Lesser snow geese id to prevent their population from getting as large as that of the greater birds. It was the lesser birds that were killed in ths violation. The Kesser population is the one that has two color phases, both blue and white, greaters are all white with black wing tips and no blue phase. I am not quite sure what the purpose of your post is but I take it to mean "so what, there is too many of them anyway" which is a pretty poor attitude for someone on a sportsmans message board. Killing almost 300 birds over the limit is no joke, it isn't funny and cannot be tolerated. There was a time when we couldn;t even hunt snow geese in the east, hunting them only resumed in the mid 70s. If everyone was doing what these idiots did we could see the population back to pre 70s numbers. There is a reason for bag limits. One of the problems I have seen in more than one species with large bag limits is the loss of respect for the species and the wrng headed idea that anything goes, so what there are a lot of them. Well, there were millions of American bison, millions of passenger pigeons, and North American waterfowl was in big trouble with extremely low numbers after they were killed with no restrictions by people who thought they would never lose the large populations. Now there are few wild bison, zero passenger pigeons and the waterfown in North America is no where near what it use to be and has been a success story bringing them back to the shakey numbers we have now. Even the Canada goose population got so low not all that long ago from over harvesting that the season was closed for a few years on migratory Canada geese and only resident birds had a season. Yeah it is a long rant, but cavilier attitudes displayed regarding violations of wildlife laws really irk my liver!