HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Small Hunting Dogs
View Single Post
Old 05-18-2015, 11:29 PM
app
Spike

Hi gents
A farmer-friend & I are having good success with a breed called Parsons Russel..it basically is a kind of Jack-Russel, black/tan/white, but in my view,more of a hunting nose/-instinct, more disciplined, & also longer legs thn the usual JR, awa a 'beard' around the muzzle..
Mine is a female & so is my friends'..I find those longer legs more preferable in open veld/grass-fields, especially when she has to chase, but she is very able in the bush as well..
I didn't even have to train her tht much either as she cottoned onto the hunting-discipline easily, biggest problem was to teach her to be quiet in the veld..she is very intelligent & 'claim' every animal tht she finds by biting off the tail, ear, or some otherpart..
She prefers to work into the wind, & up to this stage she has not lost one animal even...

There are 2 posts under classifieds, sub 'Huntingdogs', one post by another gent, & one by myself where-in I describe approx. her training, etc, etc...& more as a response to this other gents post where-in he seems to battle somehow re the training of his current hunting-dog..

Regards
app