Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Wounded Boar Charge

Old 04-30-2015, 08:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Most all wild mammals see better in the dark than we do. But in daylight, a hog has extremely poor eyesight by comparison.
Old 05-01-2015, 05:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Most every serious mauling and the reports read pretty much the same, the animal was injured and this isn't the normal way they act. I always kind of figured this statement was media spin, maybe the one thing the animal rights people and the hunters could agree on, spin it so not to appear it is the Hogs fault.

One trend that seems evident is in one state (a liberal stronghold) that has a total hunting ban, the incidence of mauling and even death is a lot higher. They lose their fear of people and bad things happen more frequently.

And I really don't know if the reports I read are hype or accurate, as they often seem to read pretty much the same. Older people tend to get targeted more so than younger people. And many of the reports are from right in the middle of this no hunting state, in a major metropolitan area. Last year a 250 lb. Boar attacked some old man, then his wife, then a youngster that tried to help, then a Cop that came to the rescue. Year before that a Hog killed an 80 year old man in the same city.
Old 05-01-2015, 06:40 AM
Boone & Crockett

Ah! Very good. I am used to countering the myth of hogs having poor vision and that just isn't the case
Hogs see pretty well, thank you. With the wind in my favor, i've been busted by hogs too many times to believe they can't see well. At night hogs see much better than humans.

i'm not a dedicated night hog hunter because we can't do that in OK. Have night hunted at a few times in TX. One guy i hunted with pointed out that hogs are able to detect infrared. When he turned on the IR illuminator the hogs took off.
Old 05-01-2015, 08:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

They aren't blind by any means, but their vision is a distant third behind their great sense of smell and hearing. Like deer, movement is more the key to their vision than anything else, especially if a person is out in the open to any extent. They certainly don't have vision that is anywhere close to matching that of a turkey, which is extraordinary!
Old 05-01-2015, 08:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

As we all know, a hog's worst sense is their eye sight !

He had no idea from what direction the first shot came from......................he was just "running" in hope to avoid danger.

To no avail - dead hog !!!

BTW - Cool video

Last edited by Sheridan; 05-01-2015 at 08:23 PM.
Old 05-02-2015, 09:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Awesome video! Glad u got him before he got you!
Old 05-03-2015, 08:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

People always talk about Boar attacks (male tuskers), personally I've always worried more about the older Sows. Sure you'd expect them to attack if their squeekers are threatened, but they can also be unpredictable. Sows often come in head held high, mouth open wide, about crotch high on a man. Or they just take a couple of low bites on the way by. You can hear their jaws clacking shut.

And chances are, if it is a 3 plus year old sow, there is likely to be a whole pack around someplace close and the pack is likely to follow her which every way she runs.

Male Boars are mostly hormones and urges, Old Sows are thinkers. They can be way smarter than most dogs.

If a male Boar shows up in the pack and it isn't mating season, the head Sow will beat the tar out of him and run him off. It looks like a pretty good fight, I really don't know if the Boars are holding back or not, the Sows sure aren't.

Last edited by MudderChuck; 05-03-2015 at 09:01 AM.