HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 7mm08
Thread: 7mm08
View Single Post
Old 12-25-2014, 02:58 AM
Ridge Runner
Nontypical Buck

think it was around 1985, my dad brought a rem. 788 7mm/08, I had been reloading for a couple three years, I bought dies, bullets, and brass for it and loaded a few test loads for dad to try in his rifle, he liked the results. For the first time ever I wasn't banished to the outside building to load ammo, I was told to clamp the press on the kitchen table and load where is wasn't so cold, wasn't long before dad installed a steel table in my room where I could load ammo as he watched, dad passed away in 1988, his 7/08 was passed to my brother and I lost touch with this outstanding cartridge.
4 years later I was searching for a savage 99 in 284 win. never did find it, but I did find a 99 in 7/08 brought it home and tried every load combo I could think of, nothing would shoot into less than 3". finaly out of desperation I tried IMR 3031 and a 120 gr. hornady.....Bingo, would group just over an inch after I relieved the pressure point in the foreend. used that rifle for several seasons taking numerous deer, at least 1 bear, and a feral hog. the rifle wears a leupold 6x36 and will be in my possession as long as I walk this earth, yes it is that good!

RR