HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - .357 mag handgun isn't enough?
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2014, 10:33 AM
Nomercy448
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
NM, here is another chart, it says most of the results came from a 5 or 5.5 inch barrel which would preclude rifles. Not arguing, just saying what is out there on the subject. Check out the double tap ammo, some higher numbers than BB. From Florida gun supply, balistics 101.
Read the thread carefully, you're misunderstanding the confusion.

I think we got this ironed out. I wasn't questioning the Buffalo Bore's data, just pointed out that Rockport's quoting of BB data was not accurate to the actual BB data sheets. Their website is kinda confusing and has rifle data charts at the top but aren't listed as such, so if you look at the top level chart, it's deceiving. The data he quoted later is the right stuff, but the 1800fps and 1800ft.lbs. isn't on the mark, even though it's really easy to make that mistake on their website.

Bottom line is this: 1200ft.lbs. is attainable with a 45colt case, 1800ft.lbs. is not.

If someone figured out a 30-32,000psi load in 45colt that could run 1800ft.lbs. in a handgun, I'd be shooting them tomorrow!

But the REAL Tier 3 stuff, like Buffalo Bore's loads, is more than enough to kill deer. He11, most of my deer I've killed with the Colt have been with plain jane WWB "Tier 1" standard stuff, and they're just as dead as the Tier 3 stuff delivers.

Last edited by Nomercy448; 12-12-2014 at 10:37 AM.