HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - .357 mag handgun isn't enough?
View Single Post
Old 12-11-2014, 09:31 AM
Topgun 3006
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
I carried a .357 mag S&W 686 every day for over 30 years and I can shoot a handgun well. However, while a .357 certainly will go through a deers vitals it is not what I would carry if carrying a handgun specifically for deer, yes they will kill a deer, however, the dying doesn't happen quick enough for me unless it is a head shot. I have probably killed at least 100 deer with the caliber, that were crippled or injured so before someone asks, yes I have used the gun on deer. If anyone uses buffalo bore ammo they better have a gun that can take that kind of abuse. If I were going to buy a revolver to carry for deer it would be a .44 mag or a .45 colt with appropriate ammo. I use Lever evo in my ..45 colt for deer. That is my opinion and I am stiking with it.
Agree 100% and 100 yards like the Mod stated IMHO is way too far for a 357. If you look at what the experts post about handguns, most say the 357 and 45 Colt are not deer calibers, especially in handguns. If either are used, the distance needs to be kept real close!