HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Where should I be rifle hunting?? Ariel Photo
Old 12-08-2014, 01:57 PM
HatchieLuvr
Typical Buck

how big is this area? I'm assuming the lower right "dark area" is a lake? I'm a funnel disciple and the first place I'd start is in that dark "timberline/thicket/whatever" there beside that lake and that clearer area. Up toward that upper left area I assume that meandering line to be a creek or small river? I'd likewise canoe or walk it out looking for major crossings there as well. Areas like that stay great year after year if nothing else major changes in the surrounding area.

As usual, where's the major food areas as well? And of course being bucks, they like to hang around the ladies so I'd be looking for doe group "hangouts" during and post rut!

As for your atv, do you have any other transportation options? Elec carts or even a stock 4x4 truck is a MUCH quieter and less obtrusive form of transportation than an ATV. On my farm I keep ATVs in the garage during season, they are NEVER to be started except in the absolute worst conditions that might require their use for game retrieval. (My riverbottom farm typically begins flooding during late season) I even have an old 1980 Chevy 4x4 that I use as a backup to the carts or when we need extra trans instead of one of my Honda atvs (inline 6, grip spur tires, Warn hubs. Looks like it was at Pearl Harbor but "ol blue" will go like stink as long as it has one wheel on the ground!). I've seen deer BOLT when they hear 4whlrs 1/2-1mile away. They'll stand their ground until they actually see a silent elec cart or silent truck tho!

Last edited by HatchieLuvr; 12-08-2014 at 02:03 PM.