Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Where should I be rifle hunting?? Ariel Photo >

Where should I be rifle hunting?? Ariel Photo

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Where should I be rifle hunting?? Ariel Photo

Old 12-04-2014, 05:46 PM
Spike

Default Where should I be rifle hunting?? Ariel Photo

Just curious to see what you guys think about the area I rifle hunt. I outlined the thick swamp in yellow.The red outlines a large hardwood highland that was recently hit by some large winds causing alot of downed trees. I think most of the deer are bedding in this area. The light blue outlines a thick tag alder / young tamarack area around a fairly dry marsh. The gray line is the road coming into the area. I take a fourwheeler down this road to get access to the area. The orange "x" marks where my stand was located this hunting season and the pink "x" is where I was baiting. I saw 32 deer during the 9 day rifle hunt one was a fairly nice 8 pointer that I couldn't get a shot at. Where would you guys setup your stand if you were hunting this area?
Attached Thumbnails Where should I be rifle hunting?? Ariel Photo-arielphoto.jpg  
Old 12-05-2014, 02:03 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by ASCHES
Just curious to see what you guys think about the area I rifle hunt. I outlined the thick swamp in yellow.The red outlines a large hardwood highland that was recently hit by some large winds causing alot of downed trees. I think most of the deer are bedding in this area. The light blue outlines a thick tag alder / young tamarack area around a fairly dry marsh. The gray line is the road coming into the area. I take a fourwheeler down this road to get access to the area. The orange "x" marks where my stand was located this hunting season and the pink "x" is where I was baiting. I saw 32 deer during the 9 day rifle hunt one was a fairly nice 8 pointer that I couldn't get a shot at. Where would you guys setup your stand if you were hunting this area?
Where is the deer sign at?
I would look here at the red X's
Attached Thumbnails Where should I be rifle hunting?? Ariel Photo-arielphoto..jpg  
Old 12-05-2014, 04:09 AM
Spike

Yeah I plan to do some scouting after the muzzle loader season is over. I will definitely check out those spots! I was also thinking about this next year. I would put my stand on the point just north of my stand placement on the map and clear a couple shooting lanes through the swamp and tag alters / tamarack trees. The point where I would put my stand is a nice high hill so I would have good elevation.

Last edited by ASCHES; 12-05-2014 at 04:16 AM.
Old 12-07-2014, 01:18 PM
Fork Horn

I am a huge fan of edges the more types of habitat that come together the better... What state and county are you hunting? I would really like to see a topo of the area.. Is it level or hilly?

The black dots are areas I would start..
Attached Thumbnails Where should I be rifle hunting?? Ariel Photo-arielphoto.jpg  

Last edited by ojibwa; 12-07-2014 at 01:20 PM.
Old 12-07-2014, 06:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd be looking for a point where they travel through that swamp. I'd consider it a funnel.

Also, if you can find some high spots in the swamp where a buck might hide all by himself, maybe set up overlooking those points or along the way in if you can find it.
Old 12-07-2014, 06:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Another thought: is there food nearby? That would be something to factor in.
Old 12-08-2014, 01:57 PM
Typical Buck

how big is this area? I'm assuming the lower right "dark area" is a lake? I'm a funnel disciple and the first place I'd start is in that dark "timberline/thicket/whatever" there beside that lake and that clearer area. Up toward that upper left area I assume that meandering line to be a creek or small river? I'd likewise canoe or walk it out looking for major crossings there as well. Areas like that stay great year after year if nothing else major changes in the surrounding area.

As usual, where's the major food areas as well? And of course being bucks, they like to hang around the ladies so I'd be looking for doe group "hangouts" during and post rut!

As for your atv, do you have any other transportation options? Elec carts or even a stock 4x4 truck is a MUCH quieter and less obtrusive form of transportation than an ATV. On my farm I keep ATVs in the garage during season, they are NEVER to be started except in the absolute worst conditions that might require their use for game retrieval. (My riverbottom farm typically begins flooding during late season) I even have an old 1980 Chevy 4x4 that I use as a backup to the carts or when we need extra trans instead of one of my Honda atvs (inline 6, grip spur tires, Warn hubs. Looks like it was at Pearl Harbor but "ol blue" will go like stink as long as it has one wheel on the ground!). I've seen deer BOLT when they hear 4whlrs 1/2-1mile away. They'll stand their ground until they actually see a silent elec cart or silent truck tho!

Last edited by HatchieLuvr; 12-08-2014 at 02:03 PM.
Old 12-08-2014, 02:25 PM
Spike

Typically I would agree that the less noise you make getting in the better, but I also have an older neighbor who drives one of the loudest Gators I've ever heard right up to his stand and the deer are moving normally again within 15-30 minutes. Hell, I've driven past a couple deer feeding with it 30 minutes before dawn and they didn't go anywhere.

Around here, atv use is the only option in most of our hunting spots other than your feet - and even then walking isn't even a safe option half the time. Some of us park them 100 yards away, some of the less nimble guys leave them 20 yards away from their stands. As long as you get in early, I wouldn't worry too much about the atv noise. But everyone's different. I would just rather get in quick, early and safe on an atv and give it half an hour to quiet down than hike it and get to the stand an hour later saturated with sweat.