HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - David and Goliath - A tale of 2 bucks
View Single Post
Old 12-04-2014, 04:52 PM
oldsmellhound
Nontypical Buck

Thanks everyone! I actually like shooting a younger buck as a meat deer - the meat is still tender and good tasting, but they have more meat on them than a doe most of the time. We only have 60 acres and can't manage our land for bucks - too small acreage, and we are surrounded by other hunters that shoot anything that moves. So there is no point in letting a buck go to grow bigger the next year- chances are one of our drunken neighbors will shoot it anyways.

The 200 SST has worked well for me. For many years I used the 200 grain XTP, but I wanted something that would hold together a bit better and penetrate more. At the velocities I shoot it at, the SST has worked out great - always have expansion and great penetration. I've only ever recovered 1 from a deer - that was on a frontal shot and the bullet was found lodged in the rear ham. The nose of the bullet tends to fragment a little on close shots, but the base of the bullet always continues on and gives an exit wound.