HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Remington 700 ADL in 243
View Single Post
Old 11-28-2014, 09:24 PM
Nomercy448
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Sheridan
Lap the barrel and give it a trigger job - No ?
Trigger job, yes. Mom's beau isn't a shooter, and this is a "hey, look! A coyote" rifle, so I will leave it at a nice 3.5-4lb set weight. I'll work what I can to get it as crisp and clean as possible with no over travel. Shouldn't need anything but elbow grease to get there though, so no jewel in his future. Not by me right now at least.

It's getting a Boyd's laminate stock, which will get pillars and bedded, 100% free floated since this is a light barrel (short chamber support only).

I don't believe that I'll lap the barrel on this one. Hand lapping is a pain, and this is a $380 rifle. If it doesn't shoot for squat, I'll scavenge the action and build a lightweight 7-08 and go buy a savage for mom's SO. It'll get a break in procedure as I search for a load it likes, but if it's not accurate, the answer would be a better barrel, in my mind. But I do fully expect it will shoot 1-1.5moa as it is already. My lead furnace is in storage so I have to have a pretty desperate need to dig it out, and making laps ain't it! Haha!

Since he'll be shooting factory ammo, from a factory barrel, I can't let myself get too carried away, but if it doesn't shoot, I'll blue print it and see if that helps it shoot for his barrel. If not, then I'll know it's the tube and I'll stick a shilen on it, more than doubling the price of the gun. That'll be over the "Christmas rifle budget" so it'd be mine, and I'd grab a savage 11 trophy hunter for him to replace it.