HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Black powder scope!!
View Single Post
Old 11-12-2014, 08:25 AM
Muley Hunter
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by BarnesAddict
I blew out more Simmons scopes on muzzleloaders than any other rifle scope. I stopped using them years ago, except for an Aetec on a 17HMR. I will admit that the Aetec has fairly good glass, which is clear and why its still atop my 17 for vermin.

When I dumped Simmons, I made the move to Nikon and have and am still happy with them. A little out of the OP's price range but, the Monarch series are fine scopes. However.... I also blew one of those out after 4,000 rounds. I'd say that scope lasted long enough.

The sun glare that some have discussed is EASILY corrected. Buy a extended sunshade. I've use 4" sunshades on scopes and you can darn near look directly into the sun with them. It eliminates all that glare discussed. Surprises me it wasn't already mentioned.....

My VX6 Leupold w/CDS is zeroed at 100yds to 400yds and doesn't shift POI (unless you turn the dial).
I could have, but going to better scope solved the problem.

Now I have sun glare with a peep sight. I solve it by removing the aperture, and using it as a ghost sight. Works great at my short ranges.