HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Reviving an Abused Revolver (Kinda pic heavy?)
Old 10-22-2014, 02:43 PM
Nomercy448
Nontypical Buck

Robert, thanks for the kind words, for taking interest, and for the questions!

Originally Posted by RobertSubnet
About your protocol to barricade in place (the bedroom) - have you considered home invasions during the day time when your MiL might not be in the bedroom? Is there a possibility that she might get cut-off from the bedroom and her firearm?
The short answer is that, yes, we HAVE considered daytime invasions.

The long answer is this: :P

While it's not my MO, I'm certified as a risk assessor (industrial and commercial processes), and I'm also a certified firearms instructor, and newly licensed CCW instructor. It's kinda natural for me to let that part of my job overlap into my personal pursuits.

In general, I've seen a trend that Risk Mitigation programs with fewer mitigating controls and response protocols to cover a great number of risks are more effective than more complex programs. In other words, "One solution for many problems" tends to work well - aka "Keep It Simple & Straightforward" - or whatever flavor of "KISS" you prefer.

My go-to process starts by identifying potential risks/threats. In this case, that means identifying possible infiltration points as they relate to her activity areas. I used those to develop suitable control mechanisms and response protocols to deal with those risks.

Since we're talking about my mother-in-law and her in-home defense portion of her Self-defense program:

Her "one solution to many problems" is to have her cell phone and EDC weapon (the Ruger LCR) readily accessible on or near her person at all times. Another "universal solution" to any risk is to distance herself from danger, aka "Escape". So these are high priorities in her Defense Program.

When I assessed her home, the floor plan and potential infiltration points illustrated a roughly linear evacuation profile, and as such, any invasion would cut her off from the opposite end of the house. Luckily in her case, both ends have suitable escape points AND suitable "Barricade in place/escape if necessary" positions. If cut off from the back of the house, she can escape by the front door, or if she doesn't have her EDC and cellphone, she can proceed to her bedroom, which I described in my last post as a BIP/E defensive position. Alternatively, if she's cut off from the front of her house, she can escape via the backdoor, or proceed to another BIP/E position in her basement. As described before, any infiltration point in the entire house when she's in bed at night would mean BIP/E in her room. Any infiltration to the top floor when she's downstairs doing laundry would mean she's 'cornered' in the basement, so she would BIP/E in the back bedroom. During the day, she should have her EDC and her cell phone, if not, both BIP/E positions have solid wood doors with substantial locks, panic buttons for her home alarm, home phone lines, cell phone rapid chargers, a secured firearm, and options for escape.

So if you're keeping track, she only has 4 threat response protocols that incorporate 3 total firearms that cover all of the activity areas in her home and all 16 infiltration points (trying to remember how many 'holes' she has in her house by memory!). She has 2 Immediate Escape routes, and 2 "Barricade in Place/Escape if Necessary" defensive positions. Each protocol includes redundancies for phone, home alarm trigger, and secured firearms, as well as escape.

We did similar threat assessment/response protocol developments for scenarios AROUND the home, at work, and in public.

So after saying all of that, I'm sure I sound like some Rambo wannabe, tacticool d-bag, mall-ninja, lunatic "prepper," but it's really not as dramatic or intense as it sounds. Only really takes a few hours to go through all of it.

Originally Posted by RobertSubnet
Regarding the sights at night: I don't suppose replacing the factory front sight with a tritium sight would help? Or would that be too blurry to be useful?
Mostly it's just that her sights are too blurry. Tritium and contrast paint help, but her accuracy suffers a lot without her glasses no matter what.

Since this Taurus is fixed sights all around, I'd have to mill it out for removable sights. I HEAVILY considered milling it for Novak tritiums, but the work and cost just weren't worth it compared to the accuracy improvement (or lack thereof).

I did put a tritium night sight on her LCR, with contrasting sight paint on around the lamp lens. It also has a CT Laser-grip.

If nothing else, at least we can say that she has all of the tools she can have to improve her chances, whether they actually help result in a "win" if she ever needs them, well, we hope we never find out...