HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Tipping a guide
Thread: Tipping a guide
View Single Post
Old 10-13-2014, 04:51 AM
Big Uncle
Nontypical Buck

It all depends on effort and circumstances. If it is a horseback hunt into a remote area where there is a lot of leg work involved there is usually a great deal more effort involved than a pickup truck ride to a stand.

I have had good guides that worked their tails off for the joy of the hunt, and bad guides that had a sour disposition and put in the minimum effort and obviously considered the hunter as just another meal ticket.

I tip something to all guides, even the bad ones. A good guide is surely worth $100 a day to me (maybe more), and the wrangler and camp cook are worth a few bucks as well. I consider the cost of the hunt to a degree. But the hunt cost is my deal with the outfitter - not the guide. Ten percent of what I pay the to the outfitter may be way too much or way too little as a bonus to the guide.

In hunting camp everyone is everyone else's social equal.

Do not tip upon arrival! Some guys will be offended if you throw money around early in the hunt and treat them like a valet that is parking your car. After the hunt is complete is the appropriate time to slap them on the back and give out the well earned bonus.