Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Tipping a guide

Old 01-15-2015, 04:39 PM
Spike

Im a guide in Alaska and tipping seems to be different, if I was guiding for an outfitter typically I got less than 10%.
When I became the outfitter and did the guiding tips went down even more, the thought being that as the outfitter and guide I had already been paid. I tell my clients that a tip is just a gesture and I'm not going to blacklist you if you can't afford a tip
Or feel I didn't deserve it.
Judgment call....
One guide I know when asked this question told the client ,"pay till it hurts."
Lol do what you feel
Comfortable with.
Old 01-15-2015, 08:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

You don't give anyone a tip anywhere BEFORE you even go on the hunt!
Old 01-16-2015, 05:22 AM
Banned

yup. if he's a good guide, provide him a merry christmas. if not,just tell him heres a tip ,"don't take any wooden nickels."
Old 01-16-2015, 11:47 AM
Fork Horn

Tipping before the hunt is over seems like a strange notion? But that could just be me I guess?
Old 01-16-2015, 01:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

I tip the guide between 15 and 20 pecent of the cost of the hunt depending on the guides perfromance, less if the guide is flat out bad. I have never had that , yet. I do not tip the outfitter, that would be like tipping the owner of a resturant IMO. I have hunted places where the guides were required to give some of the tip money to the cook, I took that into consideration but I didn;t like it. However, I would never tip before the end of the hunt, never. As far as an outfitter/guide goes I have not had that but if the outfitter was also my guide, I would tip as I normally do.
Old 01-19-2015, 05:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
I tip the guide between 15 and 20 percent of the cost of the hunt depending on the guides performance, less if the guide is flat out bad. I have never had that , yet. I do not tip the outfitter, that would be like tipping the owner of a restaurant IMO. I have hunted places where the guides were required to give some of the tip money to the cook, I took that into consideration but I didn't like it. However, I would never tip before the end of the hunt, never. As far as an outfitter/guide goes I have not had that but if the outfitter was also my guide, I would tip as I normally do.
This is the way to go.
Old 01-19-2015, 06:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

Never hired a guide for elk so I have no idea what the proper tip. The only time I used guide services was when the law required it. I'd much rather hunt on my own if given the choice. But I'd think 10% would suffice if the guide showed a good amount of effort. That was my rule of thumb on safari and when I hunted Canada both of which require guides/PHs by law.