HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - .45-70 vs. 12ga. Slug/Sabot
View Single Post
Old 08-27-2014, 08:46 AM
CJMart
Spike

Default .45-70 vs. 12ga. Slug/Sabot

Fellas,

I'm sure this has been tossed around a lot on here but I went back several pages and didn't see anything recent. My state of Ohio just this year adopted the use of straight-walled cartridges fired from a long gun as an option for whitetail. (We'd traditionally been a shotgun and pistol only state.) 12ga. w/ a rifled barrel and sabots is a great option in the 100 yard range which is what I've found makes up 90% of shot opportunities where I hunt, BUT I was curious and have never fired one, on how the .45-70govt. round performs comparably? I'd be interested in some feedback of experiences you've had in terms of range, bullet-drop, take-down power more so than actual ballistic ratings itself. I don't reload, so I'd also be interested in what brand/grain of bullet has proven effective. I'm entertaining the idea of purchasing a Marlin 1895G Guide Gun in .45-70 and spending some significant range time with it before the season but wanted some input on here before making the jump. Why not stick with what's worked....dunno, change can be a challenge sometimes, right?

If both guns are sitting on a rack, which are you walking out the door with on the first day of whitetail season?

Thanks in advance for the feedback.