HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Best all around optics setup
View Single Post
Old 07-23-2014, 07:51 PM
bigtim6656
Giant Nontypical

Default Best all around optics setup

In the past every time iv bought a gun it was for one specific purpose. My tc triumph for deer hunting ie omega bdc 3-9 to 9 zoom. Glocks for carry 10/22 mainly plinking. Shotgun for turkey. My ar is alittle different. I want to target shoot both long range (as far out as I and it can shoot) and kinda mid range fun shooting and like target transition between say 2 or 3 targets verying ranges. Then mainly for hog hunting.
Im unsure of how I want to set up the optics/ sights. Right now its a flat top with the normal fixed gas block/front site. Im thinkin.
1. Flip up iron sights for mid range target shooting and like a 3-9 zoom scope. Doing this I would need to remove the scope to use the iron sights.
2 the 3-9 power for hunting/ long range target practice. then a simple scope with a wide view with like a 2-5 power zoom for close range. Since I would need to remove a scope to use the iron sights anyway.
3 find one to fit all my needs. Is there a scope that will do that.

Also what scope would you recommend for said uses. Im open on price not gonna buy a tasco walmart pos but dont wonna sink a grand on a scope. For long range I dont have a problem with say 300-500 if need be. Id like to get one thats good with turrets if possible for my price.
So what you all recommend.