HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Trigger adjustment, Ruger 77
View Single Post
Old 05-02-2014, 09:07 AM
huffmanite
Spike

Late to post about what I did to improve the trigger pull on my Ruger Tang Safety 77, but I ended up with a pull well under 2 lbs by installing a Rifle Basix trigger sear for the tang safety for what I recall was less than $50. This is not a complete trigger assembly, just the trigger itself. Been 3 or 4 years ago, so I'm not sure exactly every thing I did. Definitely, readjusted the appropriate screw on the original trigger assembly to lighten pull. May have replaced spring with a lighter one. Did some honing on the Rifle Basix trigger sear and what it contacted on the cocking piece. Used a very fine Arkansas hardstone my father used back in the days of shaving with a straight edge razor blade to hone with.

LOL, after reassembling every thing and trying the trigger for the first time, rather surprised by how lite the pull was. So light, I recocked the rifle and bounced the butt of rifle on top of my workbench and then the floor to see if it would release. It didn't. Slammed shut the bolt a number of times and still trigger wouldn't release. Would shoot the rifle for about a year on a very regular basis at range I'm a member and never a problem with it. However, when I switched shooting from one rifle with a heavier trigger pull to my tang safety rifle, there would be times I'd carelessly put my finger on the trigger before I was finishing sighting my crosshair on the target and due to its light release, the rifle fired. I readjusted the original trigger assembly screw to a heavier pull, which it is where it is still set.