HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Sacrificial hammer
View Single Post
Old 03-20-2014, 05:49 PM
yeoman
Typical Buck

Default Sacrificial hammer

A new-to-me MK-85 "Hunter" came with the bare 209 primer breech plug. I struggled with stuck primers and scope adjustment/accuracy issues on the first range session. I started to wonder if I'd acquired a problem barrel despite its spotless shine or a wacked scope, or both. Turned out the accuracy issue was the scope elevation/windage too close to their stops. I removed the scope (inexpensive Barska) set both windage and elevation to their midpoints and (re)laser bore sighted @100yds against my shop at night. Returning to the range last weekend, I used Cayugad's suggestion to swab the seat for the 209 with a Qtip/windex. That helped, and swabbing the primer using a Qtip with a wee bit of breech plug grease eliminated any problem with stuck primers (T7's). I want to be able to shoot either 209 or #11's with this gun. I have a #11 hex plug on the way. I also have these 2 hammers for 209 primers. Notice one of them necks down near the primer end while the other is straight. I plan to sacrifice one of them and grind down the striker point to use with caps/nipple. Any reason to choose one over the other? I won't be using BH209. Hope the Photobucket link works.