Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Sacrificial hammer >

Sacrificial hammer

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Sacrificial hammer

Old 03-20-2014, 05:49 PM
Typical Buck

Default Sacrificial hammer

A new-to-me MK-85 "Hunter" came with the bare 209 primer breech plug. I struggled with stuck primers and scope adjustment/accuracy issues on the first range session. I started to wonder if I'd acquired a problem barrel despite its spotless shine or a wacked scope, or both. Turned out the accuracy issue was the scope elevation/windage too close to their stops. I removed the scope (inexpensive Barska) set both windage and elevation to their midpoints and (re)laser bore sighted @100yds against my shop at night. Returning to the range last weekend, I used Cayugad's suggestion to swab the seat for the 209 with a Qtip/windex. That helped, and swabbing the primer using a Qtip with a wee bit of breech plug grease eliminated any problem with stuck primers (T7's). I want to be able to shoot either 209 or #11's with this gun. I have a #11 hex plug on the way. I also have these 2 hammers for 209 primers. Notice one of them necks down near the primer end while the other is straight. I plan to sacrifice one of them and grind down the striker point to use with caps/nipple. Any reason to choose one over the other? I won't be using BH209. Hope the Photobucket link works.
Old 03-20-2014, 05:50 PM
Typical Buck

It did not.

http://i1352.photobucket.com/albums/...psjwqnxbkc.jpg
Old 03-20-2014, 06:54 PM
Boone & Crockett

yeoman

The hammer shown on the bottom is the 209 hammer that comes with the newer Knight plunger guns.

The top on looks just like the cap hammers I have in my MK-85's
Old 03-20-2014, 07:23 PM
Dominant Buck

On my LK rifles, the bottom one is what I have and I shoot the #11 caps. With loose powder (other then BH209) I have great luck with the rifles always going off. And less mess in the breech area.
Old 03-20-2014, 07:52 PM
Typical Buck

Both are 209 hammers with tapered firing "pins" (striker). The only differences are the step down shape near the impact end of the top one, and an Allen wrench fitting in the safety end of the bottom one. I'm trying to decide on which to grind the striker flat for caps. Sounds like there were a variety of styles and makes no difference. I thought perhaps the more restricted space created by the step down one might be better at containing the 209 blow back?
Old 03-20-2014, 07:55 PM
Dominant Buck

If you want to shoot caps... I would not grind it at all. Try it the way it is. It might smash the caps and split them better making them easier to get off.
Old 03-21-2014, 02:46 AM
Typical Buck

I could do that. I'm concerned it will flare the nipple within 15-20 rounds. A good nipple runs $8. I was shocked I can buy the lower hammer assembly pictured for under $12. At that price, I may as well have a hammer to go with each breech plug setup. I guess I could just buy another gun! lol
Old 03-24-2014, 04:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

You will probably flare out the nipple if you leave it. Since you have two, grind one flat and you'll be good to go. Where did you find it for $12? Yes, that is a good price.
Old 03-24-2014, 05:52 AM
Typical Buck

www.gunpartscorp.com/

Numrich. Seems carzy that a component as complex as this hammer can be available for that money. Half the price of a breech plug? Get em while you can.
Old 03-24-2014, 09:15 AM
Typical Buck

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Products/1372020.htm

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.