HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Most accurate rifle
View Single Post
Old 03-08-2014, 05:35 PM
streetglideok
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by sauer14
Guys I am the OP, I have been working and have not had a chance to read all your replies. Sorry for the rant, I am not an expert shot by any means and that is one reason why I reload. But it rankles me that these gun experts say they can get MOA with factory ammo and using the same ammo off a lead sled with no wind I get 2-3 inch groups. With my reloads I can get both my Weatherby and Ruger American to shoot 1.25 -1.75 three shot groups at 100 yards, but this is with shooting many different loads. With other rifles I and my Father own I can shoot MOA at 100 which is not great but plenty good for what we hunt. Maybe I am expecting to much from a factory rifle.
Don't let it rankle you. In some guns, factory ammo does really well, while in others, it doesn't. Just like some loads you probably have found don't perform as well as other loads when you roll your own. There is nothing wrong with 1.25-1.75" groups. Is it sniper accurate, not in the least, but is it plenty accurate for hunting, absolutely! Particularly if you can do this in multiple shooting positions. Factory rifles can and do perform better than that in a lot of cases though. Something you may look into if you have yet to do this, is scrub your barrel with JB bore compound. I have found after a hundred or so rounds thru a gun, if I do this, the accuracy jumps right up. Factory barrels tend to foul from my own experience until they break in. This stuff tends to get them pretty clean. Other people may offer different advice though.
Model 798 375H&H 260gr Nosler Partition, RL15 100yards. Flyer was my fault, I pulled. Gun is untouched internally. Just a redfield 2-7x