HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Best Whitetail Outfitter experience
View Single Post
Old 02-28-2014, 01:20 PM
Outdoor
Fork Horn

I have done many trips and have been pretty lucky...only one small issue but that's another story. I do not think I would ever book with any guide that has had multiple complaints. It would not be unusual for a guide to get a complaint because many hunters on their first trip really have no idea what to expect and some don't know how to act. In turn they list a complaint about there guide and /or service. Don't be afraid to ask him about the complaint get his side. If it sounds fishy move on. If that service has multiple complaints...move on.
What you are trying to do is difficult at best. It s your first trip and in my opinion you should be going with someone who has experience with trips. Also going somewhere that is recommended by someone.
I hate to be the "Debbie downer " here but I think you are making a mistake. Did you meet this guide at a show and speak with him at least or was this done over the phone? Face to face gets you a real feel for things. Here is an example that just happen to me last week:
Went to show, met a guide who seemed very forth coming. We spoke about the lack of deer in his area in term of volume but size and racks were impressive. So I knew one thing he was honest about the amount of deer...we spoke further and I asked about bird hunting should I tag out early...yup no problem he said. His Setter was sitting right there. I told him I had a setter from Decoverly Kennels in PA. He said that his setters mother & father had been from there. I knew this was not true, Decoverly setters are well known in the bird dog industry and there are very impressive in size and all have a particular head shape/nose and those distinct certain features were ALL lacking. I moved on He had no reason to BS me.
So talking face to face tells you a lot. This is a great site to read and learn. I hope I helped you and above all I wish you luck where ever you end up!